We began with a quickwrite:
- Why/when do people decide to oppose society?
- Where have you seen this theme in books, movies, video games, and/or TV shows?
- Do you identify more as one who fits in with the norm or goes against the grain?
After the quickwrite, we discussed student responses to these questions. Next, we had a class discussion on several themes and elements of The Martian Chronicles in the reading so far. This was followed by a short pop quiz on the novel. If you were absent for the quiz, please let me know.
Then, I gave a personal narrative assignment based on the theme of the individual vs. society.
1. Write about a time in which you went against the norm. Explain the details of the situation (what happened and why), and explain how you felt about this situation.
2. Write about a viewpoint you hold that is at odds with the majority viewpoint. Why do you hold this view? How has it affected your life?
This narrative should be a full single side of lined paper or typed, double-spaced, and in 12 point font.
CHULA VISTA HOMEWORK:
- Finish your personal narrative, and read to page 118 in The Martian Chronicles.
LA MESA HOMEWORK:
- You will not have on-site classes for the next two weeks. Over these two weeks, please complete the following, and bring them with you to our next class:
1. Read to page 137 in The Martian Chronicles.
2. Finish your personal narrative writing assignment (see above).
3. Choose and complete one book project for The Martian Chronicles from the list attached below.
4. Complete a review for the hit magazine, The Good Stuff (also attached below).