We began class with a quickwrite:
1. Are we too reliant on electronic technology? Why, or why not?
2. What are your thoughts on virtual reality? Do you think realistic virtual reality technology would have positive or negative effects on our society? Why?
After discussing responses to these questions, we watched a film version of a Ray Bradbury short story entitled "The Veldt". The questions to accompany the video are attached below the video.
1. Does Bradbury's or Milk's vision of virtual reality seem like a more realistic outcome?
2. Do you think virtual reality technology with be used more as a tool for creating empathy or simply for entertainment and escapism?
3. As a society becomes more and more globally connected, why is empathy so important?
Finish any incomplete work on the Bradbury questions, and read to page 137 in The Martian Chronicles.