On Wednesday, we looked into the subject of artificial intelligence (AI). We began with a quickwrite:
1. What do you currently know about artificial intelligence?
2. What movies, TV shows, or books have you seen or read that involve artificial intelligence?
3. Do you think developing advanced artificial intelligence is a good idea? Why, or why not?
After discussing these questions, we watched a video on recent advances in AI. Here is the link:
After the video, I handed out some questions to answer and discuss. They are as follows:
- Are you more excited or fearful of future developments in AI?
- What are some reasons we might welcome AI?
- What are some reasons we might fear AI?
- As far as the development of robot/computer consciousness is concerned, is there a certain line that you feel we should not cross? What does that boundary consist of?
- How far do you think AI will advance in the next 20 - 30 years?
- What effects do you think robots with advanced AI could have on the economy? Do you think they could even change the structure of our society itself? How?
- What would you most like a robot to be able to do for you?
There was no additional homework from this class. See the post from last week for the homework due Friday.
On Friday, I collected the homework for chapter 2 of I, Robot. Then, we had a peer critique session on the rough drafts of the argumentative essays.
Your Homework for next week (meeting week) is to complete the final draft of your argumentative essay and to read to page 111 in I, Robot.