We began with a quickwrite. The questions were as follows:
1. What do you currently know about artificial intelligence?
2. What movies, TV shows, or books have you seen or read that involve artificial intelligence?
3. Do you think developing advanced artificial intelligence is a good idea? Why, or why not?
After discussing these questions, we watched a video on recent advances in AI. Here is the link:
- Are you more excited or fearful of future developments in AI?
- What are some reasons we might welcome AI?
- What are some reasons we might fear AI?
- As far as the development of robot/computer consciousness is concerned, is there a certain line that you feel we should not cross? What does that boundary consist of?
- How far do you think AI will advance in the next 20 - 30 years?
- What effects do you think robots with advanced AI could have on the economy? Do you think they could even change the structure of our society itself? How?
- What would you most like a robot to be able to do for you?
- Respond to the following quotation from the video and consider its implications in the development of advanced robotics: “Learning is the most essential characteristic of intelligence."
After discussing these questions and issues, students shared out their robot designs from last class.
Your homework is to read to page 68 in I, Robot.