1. Is Kurt Vonnegut making an argument in the story "Harrison Bergeron"?
2. What is he arguing for?
3. What is he arguing against?
After writing on the quickwrite and discussing student answers, we went through the homework questions as a class.
Next, I introduced the technique of counterargument. This technique consists of bringing the opposition's claims and arguments into your argumentative essay and refuting them. Here is the handout I gave on the topic of counterargument:
- Choose a topic - select one from the list provided or create your own and run it by me.
- Research both sides of the issue.
- Decide where you stand on the issue.
Please come to our next class with your topic chosen and well-researched.